Opened-Network

I’m not asking for some all holy savior to come and coddle us into equality

I’m asking for you to understand our struggles and our hardships

To understand that if we have to learn with each other we should also learn about each other so we can bring each other up

– Excerpt from ‘Bored in 1st Period’ by Obasi Davis.

I intentionally start my posting this week with this beautiful quote as I find it so meaningful. It recalls me back to my experience when I first came to the State on August last year. I knew nobody here except my scholarship program officer whom I never met before and who is miles away in Washington DC. After two weeks arriving, I started my first class on fall semester 2016 at Arcadia University. In one course that I took that semester, there was an assignment required us interviewing people to collect data for an individual project. Those people should consist of a parent, a teacher, and a student. As a new person in a new place, I found this situation somewhat stressful. Fortunately, my teacher understood my dilemma at that time, therefore, as I consult about the project she tried to assign me to people that I could reach for the interview.

I learned an important thing about open networking from that specific moment. I learn what I myself define as bottom-up and top-down networking. The bottom-up networking person is me, the one who is searching for trusted sources to get involved with in order to grasp any idea and information, this is the idea that Bud Hunt mention as participates in purpose. The top-down networking person is my professor who with high accountability could understand my situation and offered a solution. More or less, this is the idea that I underline in the article How Can White Teachers Do Better by Urban Kids of Color? About the ‘Making invisible’ idea relating to the different conception of the teacher and one of her student. That a teacher should be able to look from different perspective.

In relation to equity, one characteristic of open networking as discussed in the vialogues is accessible. In my perspective, either it is online or offline open network, it should also be enlightening, trustful, and resourceful.

I describe the way I would work in open network in a process model as shown in the picture which I created using Canva. I see an effective open network as a continuing repeating process.